My life, served with a hefty side of pop culture.

Sunday, November 15

Quickie Review - Rihanna's new album, "Rated R"



I was able to get my hands on Rihanna's new album, Rated R, the other day, and I've given it a few spins (okay, plays on my ipod...) since and have come to a conclusion - this album BLOWS BIG TIME. Sure, okay, the album isn't a total write-off - as my review will explain below - however, for the most part, it just comes across like she didn't give a crap about this album. Then again, it would be difficult to top Good Girl Gone Bad, which in my opinion (and several others' out there) was an epic album. Anyways, I hope you enjoy my quickie review!

Below is a list of songs that are worth checking out on Rated R:

"Russian Roulette" - this song was Rihanna's lead single for the album, and although I didn't like it at first, this ballad has definitely grown on me.
"Photographs" - This is basically my favorite song on the album. Unfortunately, it's no club banger, but it's a smooth, slower song that features Will.I.Am. Definitely the shining moment of the album.
"Hard" - Catchy mid-tempo track. "Yeah Yeah Yeah I'm sooo Hardd!!"
"Te Amo" - Beautiful ballad about a lesbian encounter that Rihanna allegedly partook in.
"Rude Boy" - I only included this song as one to check out because I don't think it's a total waste, however, it's nothing earth shattering.

The rest of the album is basically worth skipping, but if you're interested, below I've given a brief review of each track:

"Wait Your Turn" - This could have made it onto the "songs worth checking out list", as I really enjoy the chorus, however, the rest of the song just doesn't do it for me.
"The Last Song" - Not bad. But nothing special. Another ballad from RiRi. Mediocre.
"Cold Case Love" - Chalked full of crime-related metaphors. Lame.
"Fire Bomb" - Definitely a filler track. Borrringgg. Next!
"G4L (Gangsta for Life)" - Rihanna's attempt at being gangsta. Not liking it.
"Rockstar 101" - BORING. Where the hell are the upbeat songs? She's trying to go for this whole rock/hiphop thing and I'm NOT LIKING IT!
"Stupid in Love" - Another boring, slow ballad. I'm sorry that my descriptions are so lackluster, but I'm not finding ANYTHING inspirational in any of these songs.

Rihanna...this is what I have to say to you: STICK WITH WHAT WORKS. Artists attempting to change their styles for whatever their reasons may be NEVER WORKS. Shall I mention Kelly Clarkson's My December? EPIC FAIL!

Back to the drawing board RiRi!!

P.S. I'll leave you with my favorite track from the album, Photographs. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home